• question-icon

    What causes eczema like formations on the neck and chest?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have eczema. I received a necklace for my birthday and when I wore it, I broke out in a rash on my chest and neck. My GP says it is an allergy to the nickel in the necklace. It went away for a while. Two weeks later it came back worse. My dermatologist says it is an outbreak of my eczema to be treated by cortisone cream. I have been doing that and it has not worked. The rash is really irritating and sometimes itchy. What else could it be? I am scheduled to go back to the dermatologist in two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly eczema only, requiring oral corticosteroids along with cream, rule out dermatomyositis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

The skin rash you are experiencing is most likely to be eczema/dermatitis. Since topical steroids seem not to be helping, oral corticosteroids will be necessary.

Another important possibility that needs to be ruled out is Dermatomyositis. It can present with a rash in the sun-exposed area like chest and neck initially. In later stages, it can lead to muscle, joint pain and other symptoms.

Dermatomyositis can be differentiated from skin eczema by a blood test like EAR measurement and skin biopsy.

Please be advised to follow up with your dermatologist to discuss this possibility and necessary evaluation.

Meanwhile, please continue topical cortisone and apply sunscreen generously to the sun exposed areas.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address any further questions here

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3186 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Skin biopsy

doctor1 MD

I m 63 old male. my brother dyed from melanoma at 62. I have had 4 skin biopsies already, 2 were BCC (back), one warty dyskeratoma (back), and one...

doctor1 MD

I have some circle type on both my hands....visited some skin specialists....they advised skin biopsy and the result for the same minimal...

doctor1 MD

im a 62 years old woman, I just got a report from my doctor today that i got Paget disease of vulva , The specimen container is labelled with the...

doctor1 MD

My query is to a dermatologist. My Name is Mrs. Nair, age- 38 years, female. My problem is listed below:

In 2006 April I started having hyper...

doctor1 MD

so I have a parasite problem I feel and see them coming from my armpits little black obes it also feels XXXXXXX I have a big worm moving around my...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I have a skin related issue. There is a spot of dead skin on my left leg. it's been more than 10 year for that spot and sometimes it itches...

doctor1 MD

A few months ago a red spot showed up on my forehead and my dermatologist diagnosed it as Actinic keratosis and froze it off. It went away...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

130 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic constipation

  • Q - What causes severe muscle and upper body pain?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for delayed menstrual bleeding

  • Q - What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?

  • Q - Suggest ways to deal with behavioral volatility and emotional outbursts...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pinched nerve spasms in the shoulders, neck and arms

  • Q - What do itchy rashes on the legs indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for rashes between leg and scrotum

  • Q - What are the interactions when Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and...