• question-icon

What causes eczema like formations on the neck and chest?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have eczema. I received a necklace for my birthday and when I wore it, I broke out in a rash on my chest and neck. My GP says it is an allergy to the nickel in the necklace. It went away for a while. Two weeks later it came back worse. My dermatologist says it is an outbreak of my eczema to be treated by cortisone cream. I have been doing that and it has not worked. The rash is really irritating and sometimes itchy. What else could it be? I am scheduled to go back to the dermatologist in two weeks.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly eczema only, requiring oral corticosteroids along with cream, rule out dermatomyositis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

The skin rash you are experiencing is most likely to be eczema/dermatitis. Since topical steroids seem not to be helping, oral corticosteroids will be necessary.

Another important possibility that needs to be ruled out is Dermatomyositis. It can present with a rash in the sun-exposed area like chest and neck initially. In later stages, it can lead to muscle, joint pain and other symptoms.

Dermatomyositis can be differentiated from skin eczema by a blood test like EAR measurement and skin biopsy.

Please be advised to follow up with your dermatologist to discuss this possibility and necessary evaluation.

Meanwhile, please continue topical cortisone and apply sunscreen generously to the sun exposed areas.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address any further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal