What causes a patch of dead skin on the leg?

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Dr.

I have a skin related issue. There is a spot of dead skin on my left leg. it's been more than 10 year for that spot and sometimes it itches and leave dead skin. I am worry that why it's being fine as I have used multiple antifungal cream.
please refer the attachment for reference and share your views. There is some hard muscles in that spot too.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczema/dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and looked at the images. It looks like dermatitis/eczema. Can be due to various causes such as dry skin. I would suggest you apply Halovate cream 0.03% on the affected area, twice daily for 1 month. Apply good moisturising lotion on your leg.

I hope this answers your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 8 minutes later
Isn't being change to a kind of skin cancer or I need surgery. i m worried
Answered by Dr. Kampana 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely to be cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

It does look like a skin cancer as it has been for 10 years with no associated symptoms of cancer. Do not worry. It looks like an eczema. other condition to rule out is psoriasis. For which you need to go to a dermatologist and get blood test and skin biopsy. If you are very worried you can get a skin biopsy done to rule out other options.

I would suggest you try the ointment for 1 month and still it persists visit a dermatologist for a detailed examination.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 47 hours later
I have got halovate cream 0.05%. Is it fine or I need same Halovate cream 0.03%
Answered by Dr. Kampana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, Halovate 0.05% is okay. You can apply that.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,

Dr. Kampana