Can red spots on the forehead turn into basal cell carcinoma?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: A few months ago a red spot showed up on my forehead and my dermatologist diagnosed it as Actinic keratosis and froze it off. It went away completely and now it is coming back and ir is worst. Now it feels raised. Is it possible it has turned in to XXXXXXX cell? Can't get in for another week and am panicking.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
upload a few more good quality Images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
Actinic keratosis is usually a precursor of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) rather than a basal cell carcinoma (BCC)
I have viewed the Image. Unfortunately the Image that you have posted is not very clear. I request you to kindly upload a few more images that are clear and focused so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Just uploaded new photo.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try a topical benzoyl peroxide for a few days

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. Image slightly better but still not very sharp. Can upload a few more, if possible.

Anyways, it seems like an inflammed bump/acne lesion.
Is it painful?or tender to touch? How long since you noticed this newly formed raised lesion?
I suggest you to first try topical benzoyl peroxide 2.5% gel, twice daily for a few days. If it doesn't resolve on this, then may be a case for a skin biopsy. However, it doesn't seem worrisome to me at this point.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
I don't honk it's a pimple because it is in the exact same spot that was frozen off. It seems to get irritated at times and then calm down and then come back again. Now it is slightly raised.

What happens when something is frozen off. Does that spot heal completely or is there a chance of periodic irritation because of the assault on the skin?

Thanks for you quick responses. I will try to upload better picture.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keloid or a hypertrophic scar

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

There is a possibility that it is a hypertrophic or a keloid scar, specially if it feels firm/knotty. Skin can heal with excess scar tissue resulting in a hypertrophic or a keloidal scar. An excess scar tissue such as these can be itchy/ irritated..
A better image would help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Yes it is sometimes itchy and irritated. I will try to get you a better picture tomorrow. It has been raining here in XXXXXXX so maybe I can get better lighting tomorrow. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
That's fine. Thank you.