What causes ear drainage at night?
Recurrent Otitis media and Otitis externa
Thank you for posting the query
Your elaborate description indicates that, at present, you could be suffering from recurrent otitis media secondary to your sinus related issues.
In the absence of pain, the foul smelling discharge may be draining from the middle ear through a perforation in the eardrum.
I'm sorry! This is just my speculation, appropriate diagnosis can be made only after examining the ear and the nose.
My suggestions to you are:
1. Consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management. Till then, avoid using any OTC ear drops.
2. Do not use cotton plugs in the ear to block the discharge, if any discharge is seen oozing out from the ear, wipe it with a clean cotton.
3. During shower, avoid water getting into the ear. You can use swimming ear plugs to stop the water entering into the ear.
4. Drink lots of warm water. Avoid chilled food and beverages.
5. Do steam inhalation, to relieve the sinus congestion and to open the blocked Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).
6. You can try using saline nasal spray, for nasal decongestion and relieving the Eustachian tube block.
Hope this answer was beneficial to you; revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes drainage from the anus
- What causes purple drainage from a boil
- What causes poor lymphatic drainage
- What causes recurrance of pus drainage from ears
- What could cause pain and drainage in ear drum
- What causes sinus drainage in the mornings
- What causes itchy redness and drainage in my forehead
- Drainage from the ear thin watery clear foul smell causes
- What causes red tint to the ear drainage
- What causes drainage in throat
- What is Perilymphatic fistula?
- Suggest treatment for severe hay fever
- What do I hear an echo after a head injury?
- How to use hearing aids to help with tinnitus?
- What causes tingling sensation in ear when suffering from eustachian...
- Is ear surgery for collapsed inverted ear drum safe to have with high BP?
- Suggest treatment for sore throat, swollen glands and fever
- What causes buzzing sensation in head?
- What causes a red patch in the middle at the back of tongue?
- Suggest treatment for skin cancer