What causes dizziness when diagnosed with low BP in an elderly person?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: My sister is 57 years old and is having episodes with very low blood pressure, fainting, and feeling like she is moving in quicksand. She is generally a healthy person with no chronic disease or issues.
What could be her problem?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow up with additional details

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

I habe gone through your question.
It will be helpful if you could provide the following details, so that I can provide a detailed answer

-How often does she experience fainting spells?
-Does she notice any heart palpitations or skipped beats?
-Is your sister on any medications? If so,please provide the list
-Does she experience any ringing in ear, vertigo while having these episodes?
-Does she complain about constant head ache or vision changes recently?
-Was any other investigation other than EKG done to evaluate cardiac status?
-Any other associated concerning symptoms?

Awaiting
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
This just started in the last 3 1/2 weeks. She had a UTI, and was treated for that with antibiotics- but it was one she had taken before with no problems. She is not noticing any heart problems or issues. No vision changes. No other meds. She does get headaches, and her speech gets slurred when this happens, along with the feeling of being in quicksand, and extremely tired. She fainted for about 5 min. the last time in the ER. They have run labs and tests, but haven't given her any answers yet. Today she felt fine, and monitored her BP during spin class at the gym and it was normal.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

There are two important concerns here with your sister's history: cardiac issues or cerebrovascular disease.
Cardiac issues like cardiac arrhythmias can cause hypotension and fainting. However, it will not be picked up in an EKG always. 24-hour Holter monitoring test is required to assess cardiac electrical activity.
Since she is also complaining of slurred speech, it is also important to assess for possible cerebrovascular disease like Transient Ischemic attack, where blood supply to the brain is temporarily affected. Carotid doppler study and CT brain is recommended to rule out TIA and stroke.

In short, I recommend that she undergo 24-hour Holter monitoring testing, carotid artery Doppler studies and CT brain as next step in evaluation. She can follow up with her primary provider to get the necessary evaluations done.

Hope I was able to help you
Please let me know if you need further clarifications
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana