What causes persistent pain at the incision site after carotid artery surgery?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i had carotid artery surgery 4 years ago since then i been in pain where the surgery was performed and unable to move my neck what is wrong. i been told i have to live with it
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms could be related to the scar tissue in this region.

A pinched nerve can not be excluded either.

Physical therapy can help reduce the muscle spasms and improve your situation.

I would also recommend performing an ultrasound of the soft tissues in this region or a MRI to help exclude other possible causes.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj