• question-icon

What causes dizziness, nausea and vomiting in a 39 year old woman?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am feeling dizziness with vomiting but no apparent ear infection or pain. No history of spondilitis.I'm a healthy 39 yr old women with two grown up kids. This dizziness and nausea are more in the morning. With the use of vertin 16 mg for two days i will become normal. This became a repeated issue.what exactly is happening to me?

Recently I am feeling discomfort with eye sight. I'm a regular user of glasses for short sight. I do get check up for my eye sight once in six months.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:

The following possibilities comes to my mind for your description
Nutritional deficiency like Iron, Vitamin B esp B12, Calcium, Vitamin D- It is wise to get them tested if not done recently.
Pregnancy if you are sexually active and not permanently sterilized - If not sterilized then get a urine pregnancy test with first sample of urine in the morning
Benign positional vertigo - Due to unknown reasons the position of head would lead to imbalance in the inner canals of the ear. This gets corrected spontaneously after a week or two on use of vertin. Just wake up from bed very slowly. Always move to the end of the bed without getting up, first put your legs down and slowly elevate the head and upper body from the pillow. Sit on the edge of the bed for couple of minutes and stand up. Have one or two glasses of water as soon as possible.

Thank you for the query and let me know if you need clarification.

Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 36 minutes later
Dear doctor, I was recently got sterilised two months back and at that time I was checked for all those parameters mentioned by you and were with in the range. This was the fourth time I felt vertigo in last 7 months period.last time when I visited doctor he prescribed vertin and I am following the instructions of getting off of the bed.even though I got this again so I'm worried what actually happening to me.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neurologist evaluation

Detailed Answer:

You may need higher evaluation by a Neurologist, check for the blood supply to the brain. Sometimes the arteries to the brain are partially clogged but would not rise upto the requirements. They can test for color doppler of the carotid arteries supplying the brain. May be a ECHO of the heart as well.

I suggest a neurologist evaluation further without delay.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam