What causes dizziness and joint pain after taking a tetanus shot?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a tetanus booster 6 days ago. Had no immediate reaction to the shot, but have dizziness and joint pain. Could this be a side effect of the shot and how long does it last; e.g. is there any potential problem with the toxoid in the shot?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, Symptoms will subside in few days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Tetanus toxoid injection is given to provide protection (immunity) against  tetanus(lockjaw). Vaccination is the best way to protect against this life-threatening disease and it work by inducing own protection (antibodies). 

Mild fever, joint pain, muscle ache, pain and redness at the injection site are the most common side effects which will subside without any treatment.

Your doctor has prescribed this medication because benefit is greater than the risk of side effects.

I would suggest you to seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reactions like swelling of the face,severe dizziness and trouble breathing.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer, if you have any further query feel free to post them.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist