• question-icon

Suggest treatment for inner ear infection and severe lock jaw

Posted on Fri, 24 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been struggling w inner ear infection for over 2 months. I was on amoxicillan for 7 days w no improvement. Then ENT put me on prednisone for 7 days. Also ive been taking flonase. Yesterday i paged ENT bc still have fullness in ear etc. so he told me to take Augmentin which i started lastnight. Today i woke up w severe lockjaw on left side cant chew or close my mouth. I am wondering what i should do. Do u think i have serious infection? I dont have a fever
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Serious infection possible, switch antibiotic to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Dear Patient,

since lockjaw can be a sign of a serious infection in the mouth/ teeth area there is the possibility augmentin is not effective in your case since symptoms have progressed after taking it.

If you were my patient i would rule out any serious tooth or ENT infection again by clinical examination and blood work and possibly switch the antibiotic.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 27 minutes later
I have only taken 2 augmentins. I just started it lastnight. I am starting to think the jaw pain is just muscle related from trying to move my jaw to unplug ears. I put some vicks vapor rub on my jaw and neck and its feeling much better. I am annoyed bc i dont know why amoxicillian didnt wipe out sinus / ear infection. Prednisone literally did nothing. Should i give the augmentin a few more days? I think it might workbut idk at this point
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few more days augmentin is good

Detailed Answer:
Dear Patient,

yes since it is getting now better you can give the augmentin a chance. The jaw pain can be muscle related of course. Continue using analgesics like paracetamol for that. Give rest to jaw. Don't open mouth excessively.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 38 hours later
Hi i am taking augmentin but my jaw is actually so sore now that i cant chew or bite down on the left side. Do u think its bc my eustachian tube swollen? I am concerned the infection is spreading. I dont have a fever
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
See ENT dr to evaluate antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient, in that case i would reevaluate if the antibiotic is working with your ent doctor.

Best regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff