Suggest treatment for scar tissues on the back of the mouth

Hello. I am 19 years old, and had all four of my wisdom teeth removed a week ago today. Everything went well, no problems. I now can not open my mouth as wide as I usually can. Is this because of the scar tissue in the back of my mouth or is it lockjaw from the surgery? Also, how long will this last? Thank you!
Thu, 19 Nov 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns.

As per your complain difficulty in opening mouth after extraction of wisdom tooth can be due to infection and swelling at the site of extraction that can lead to trismus or lock jaw and the mouth will not open completely..
Other cause can be dislocation at the jaw joint and it can be another common cause of reduced mouth opening after extraction..
But as it is just one week that you have got the extractions done it can take atleast another 3 to 4 days or a week for the healing to complete and the inflammation to completely subside and mouth opening can spontaneously become normal..
I would suggest you to consult take a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen and do warm saline gargles.
Do cool compresses over the cheek on the painful side..
Take a soft diet..
In case if you do not find improvement in 3 to 4 days consult your dentist and get evaluated..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora