What causes pain in jaw post tetanus vaccination for cut on finger?

Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Late last Wednesday night I cut my finger on a dirty piece of metal. It wasn't very deep but did bleed quite a bit. I waited however until Saturday to go the the urgent care clinic where they gave me a tetanus shot, since I haven't had one since i was a teenager (I'm 31 now). Today, Wednesday, just about a week after the injury, I woke with pain on only the right side of my jaw, at the joint. I can open it fully; it just hurts. I have no history of TMJ or grinding my teeth. Did I wait too long? Should I be concerned that this is a symptom of lockjaw and more importantly tetanus?
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tetanus most unlikely

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern regarding acquiring tetanus.

I do not suspect tetanus in your case, as the cut was not very deep and very deeply contaminated wounds get infected with bacteria that cause tetanus.

If your wound is clean and healing well,you do not have to worry about tetanus.

However, you have to get your jaw examined for other causes of pain.

Many other conditions can cause similar symptoms which include toothache, sinus problems, arthritis, or gum disease.

I suggest you get in touch with a GP nearby you and rule out other causes.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Please get back if any more clarifications.

Thanks.