What causes dizziness and hypoglycemia after a hysterectomy?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am one week post op hysterectomy, and I think in having problems with my hypoglycemia due to the fact I am not eating, which is due to the surgery. The surgery part of it is fine, but I'm dizzy, and have a general feeling of blah. I was a smoker and coffee drinker and even that isn't appealing, which is a good thing. But is this normal? I guess my question is are all these things combined making me feel so off? I feel like I'm hungover. I absolutely am hating this feeling.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, eat as a medication and not because you feel like doing so!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this feeling. With you being unable to eat, I am not surprised of this feeling of weakness and hypoglycemia. I am sure you rawly don’t feel as to but, this is just like another drug for you at this time. Remember we take medications not because we like but because we know they are going to be very helpful to us. This is how I will you to see food at time time until you full appetite returns. Put in efforts and eat not because you feel like but because you know this is going to be very helpful. Also, I will encourage you to take some multivitamin tablets so as to boost your appetite and the energy levels.

In all, low appetite levels after surgery are not uncommon. Eat just because you know it is is helpful and the right thing to do and not because you really feel like.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 56 minutes later
So this weird way I'm feeling is because I need to eat? I also am not taking any pain meds so I find it odd that I feel so drugged up and full of anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
All of these symptoms can be explained by low blood sugars!

Detailed Answer:

These symptoms can all be explained by low sugar. I will like us to address the most likely cause first. If this fails to resolve the problem fully, then it will keep us thinking that there is something more we are missing out on and investigate further. For now, I have a strong sense that not eating well is the major cause.

Hysterectomy is a heavy surgery and anesthesia is often huge as well. I am not surprised the effects of these drugs can actually go even beyond a week.

I wish you well.