• question-icon

What causes delayed periods?

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi , I haven't had a period for a month and two weeks. Took 4 pregnancy test all negative. I'm experiencing aches in my left pelvic area that last 5-10 minutes. And come at randomly. I've had this pain once before in February. I also have cramps and frequent urge to pee. What might be happening?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection, ovarian cyst or hormonal imbalance

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Delayed periods can be due to pregnancy or any hormonal disturbances in the body like hypothyroidism, hyperprolactemia or polycystic ovarian disease.Since your urine pregnancy test is negative, there are no chances of pregnancy.
Pain in the left pelvic area can be due to infection in the genital tract( pelvic inflammatory disease) or due to any cyst in the ovary.
Increased frequency of micturition can be due to the urinary tract infection which is commonly associated with pelvic inflammatory disease, or it can be due to the pressure of the ovarian cyst on the urinary bladder.
Ovarian cysts may also lead to irregular menstrual cycle due to hormonal disturbances.
I would suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined, investigated( including hormonal profile, ultrasound) and get the treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine