What causes blood in urine?

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: What conditions or diseases are associated with blood in the urine, and if needed, what specialty doctor do I need to see?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to see an urologist first and get examined clinically

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Blood in the urine at your age can be due to many causes as listed below
1. A stone in the kidneys or ureters or urinary bladder.
2. An infection or inflammation involving the kidneys or urinary bladder.
3. Any benign or malignant growth involving the kidneys, ureters or urinary bladder.
4. At times, in women blood in urine can be due to gynecological problems involving the vagina and uterus.

Therefore it is suggested that you consult an urologist doctor first and get clinically examined and if needed then a gynecologist. Your doctors might recommend imaging investigations like an ultrasound scan and laboratory investigations to know the source of blood in the urine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Vivek Chail


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6625 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Uterus

doctor1 MD

I am 35 years old. Normal ht . Wt 65kg.l had bleeding only for one day for last 7 years. But l had regular periods 28 to 30 days. Last October I...

doctor1 MD

I had an ultrasound and the report said that I have fibroids inside and outside of my uterus the largest one about 3 cm in maximal dimension. It...

doctor1 MD

I had vaginal hysterectomy 12-11-13 the surgery was over 6 hours due to large fibroids and enlarged uterus, I have only had sex three times since...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am in my 1st week of recovery from the removal of 7-8 uterine fibroids with the largest being 9cm in diameter. I had them removed...

doctor1 MD

Why do I have pain in the bladder area and irritation in the vagina after sex it lasts for days. Iam 80 years old

doctor1 MD

What should be the normal cervical length during each stage of pregnancy?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I have PCOD and prominent symptoms of it like facial hairs, lethargy , thinning of hair, irregular period with gaps of 2-3 months...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

134 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction