What causes delayed periods with negative UPT?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I haven't had my period since March 20.. and pregnancy test say negative. . I have no clue when my period will come.. it used to be normal
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE WRITE BACK WITH DETAILS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Have you always had regular cycles in the past, is this the first time you have skipped your period to this extent ?
When was your last sexual encounter ?
When was the last pregnancy test taken ?
What is your height and weight ?
Have you been on any hormonal medication or any other drugs ?
Please do write back with these details so that I can help you .
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
The past year the have skipped around but every time they seem to be getting further apart. my last sexual encounter was about 4 weeks ago. my last pregnancy text was 5 days ago. I am 5'8 and weigh 175 and I am on no medication
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLEASE HAVE A WORKUP

Detailed Answer:
Sometimes, conditions like stress, anxiety, weight changes, exercise, travelling, smoking, alcohol, late nights, erratic eating etc can affect the menstrual cycle.
Also, conditions like polycystic ovaries and hypothyroidism can further lead to irregular cycles.
You need to have a gynaecological evaluation and go for the following tests -
Complete pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan.
FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, Lipid Profile.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.