What causes constant urge to defecate?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Since saturday i have had the feeling that i need to poop even after i have pooped. But it has also been very difficult to poop whenever i have tried to get it out. Over the paat month and a half i have been dealing with a respiratory infection that has been causing headache and lightheadedness. I have also had green poop for about the same amount of time as he respiratoryy infection. The poop in the toilet didnt look any different. It just appeared a shade of green on the toklet paper when i wiped. Yesterday i went to the doctor and recieved antibiotics for my respiratory infection. I recieved cefdinir. As of last night i just assumed that i had been constipated due to my diet. I had eaten fast food fried chicken and like 6-7 beers friday night, then i had a fast food burger and fries the next day. It is when i went home that i began feeling a wierd gassy feeling in my lower abdomin. Since then it has been difficult to poop and my poops have been small and stringy. Last night i assumed it was constipation and i took a laxative. I just pooped because of it and it was very diarrea-like and again it didnt appear a different color when i looked at it in the toilet, but when i wiped it was a yellowish color. Do you think that yellow color could be attributed to my antibiotics? My diet? Do i have a gluten allergy? Or do you think i have some sort of intestinal infection?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs diet and life style modifications

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

I have read your history carefully.

Color and consistency of stool can be altered by both diet and medicine. Though yellowish color isn't abnormal but CEFDINIR along with your diet may be responsible for your altered bowel habits.

Gluten allergy can be diagnosed via a gluten challenge , to see if your symptoms improve after a period of gluten free diet.

Intestinal infection could be a possibility. you could get a stool R/E and CBC done in consult with your doctor for this purpose.

I would advise diet and lifestyle modifications, first

increased fiber ( ISPAGHULA husk)
Bananas
plenty of water and fluids
regular exercise
avoiding night time meals

If they don't work then you may be started on a 2 week course of PPI like esomeprazole , SUCRALFATE and ITOPRIDE in consultation with your doctor.

Let me know if you have any query.
thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj