What causes dizziness while on Trazadone and Klonopin?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I am currently taking Trazadone 50mg for depression and sleep problems, Klonopin .05mg for anxiety disorder and essential tremors in my hands, and Nortriptyline for debilitating Gi tract spasms 50 mg.
I have had a lot of dizziness and light headed east upon standing. My question and concern is that my memory is severely compromised which scares me. For example, I broke up with my boyfriend last week that I don't remember and did so again today. I will be 70 in April.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think klonopin need to be removed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Considering the fact that you are almost 70 years of age and there is rapid decline in memory, I feel klonopin should be avoided as far as possible. In case it is necessary to continue the dose can be decreased to 0.25 mg.

Regarding other medications and symptoms I feel you are developing postural hypotension as evidenced by dizziness and lightheadedness on standing. This is rightly possible that there are two medications which can contribute to postural hypotension in addition to your age.

Considering above two facts it will be better if the choice of medications can be reconsidered by your doctor.

My recommendation is to go for trazodone 100 mg and klonopin 0.25 (if necessary).

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.