What causes constant calf muscle pain and swelling at night?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Doctor,

I had nocturnal cramps on my left calf 4 years ago. It used to pain for 60 seconds or so and then the pain would go but there would be some kind of swelling on my calf muscle for few days. It is been years since I have had a cramp but I have issues with my leg now. I have seen a doctor who prescribed me UBICAR tablets which I took for around 45 days (as suggested). It don't feel its helped. I still see a difference between two calf muscles as the left one is swollen. I cant run in the gym as it pains, if I dont sleep well, my left calf muscle will pain, I can stand on my right leg for an hour but cant stand even for 2 minutes on my left leg.

The WORST CASE is with my Calcaneus Heel and Achilles tendon. It has a sprain 24/7. Its making my life worst.

Could you please help
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Description below.

Detailed Answer:

In the absence of any history of wear & tear or injury, constant calf muscle pain and swelling can be due to:
1. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Vitamin D, Calcium, etc. which interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
2. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
3. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels such as Hypotension.
4. Hormonal imbalance like Hypothyroidism.
5. Lack of adequate hydration, proper nutrition & good sleep.
6. Even emotional factors like stress/tension can lead to such symptoms.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.
So, it will be better to consult an orthopaedician & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, you can try these-

To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the bio mechanical problems and reduces pain.
Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.