What causes a tingling sensation on the arms and hands?
For the last couple of days my arms and hands have been tingling as if they were asleep. This mainly happens when I lay down for a nap or sleep at night. Also I had terrible muscle cramps (in both calves) last night and I've no energy all day today... I am feeling really out of sorts mentally as well.
I am 53 years of age, 6'3" and my weight is around 340. I do not smoke and drink very rarely.
RLS/Neuropathy/spinal stenosis/Drugs/Any systemic illness/Anxiety
Thanks for being on Healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar, a neurologist, here to answer your query.
Syndrome of tingling in hands/arms along with nocturnal leg cramps can go with following causes-
1) Restless leg syndrome-In this syndrome, it is sometimes restless hands rather than legs. Patients feel atypical sensations (like tingling in your case) and an instant urge to move the limbs, where unpleasant sensations improve on moving the limb. It can also be associated with nocturnal leg cramps.
2) Neuropathy-can very well present with tingling sensations in extremities as well as nocturnal cramps. Usually associated with Diabetes and Vitamins deficiency
3) Spinal stenosis-This can also present with this syndrome, but there may be other significant findings on physical examination.
4) Drugs-antihypertensive medicines, statins, diuretics can cause these symptoms. Do you have any drug history?
5) Systemic illness-like Thyroid disorders, Diabetes, Liver disease, Kidney disease can present with these manifestations. Do you have any past medical history?
6) Anxiety-Last but not the least, anxiety can cause this syndrome.
Please do mental relaxation exercises, yoga and observe. Medicines like ropinirole or clonazepam may help (PLEASE TAKE MEDICINES UNDER A PHYSICIAN'S GUIDANCE).Along with take a methylcobalamin formulation like 'tetrafol plus'. If you don’t have any improvement, get the following investigations done-
Blood sugar (fasting and post prandial), Thyroid function tests and kidney function tests. See for abnormal results,if yes-please visit a physician. If the results turn normal,
Please visit a neurologist and get yourself a dedicated physical examination done by him to see for evidence of neuropathy or spinal stenosis, thus going for specific investigations and further management.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have some follow-up queries, I shall be glad to answer else, please close the thread-rate it and write a review.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause tingling sensation in left hand
- What causes numbness and tingling sensation in my hands
- What causes tingling sensation in head
- Tingling sensation in hands fingers have osteoarthritis cause
- What causes tingling sensation on face
- What causes tingling sensation in my hands while writing
- Tingling sensation in arm finger what could be the cause
- What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- Getting tingling sensation in foot what is causing this
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms
- Suggest treatment for neuralgia on right side of face
- Suggest treatment for pain in head along with knee pain and locking
- Suggest treatment for numbness in arms and legs
- What causes left-sided twitching on face and eye?
- What causes shaky hands and head?
- Suggest treatment to regenerate the femoral nerve damaged by a haemorrage
- What causes chronic sense of fullness in head and tenderness of scalp?
- What causes sore and stiff neck along with blurry vision?
- What causes difficulty in speech along with high BP?
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of burning feet syndrome