• question-icon

What causes confusion after taking Wellbutrin?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I am dealing with very weird symptoms and I can't see a neurologist for 6 months. I started Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago for bad anxiety and depression. I had an episode of being confused while doing something I know how to do. I have been more anxious and switched yesterday to cipralex as I only didn't take the Wellbutrin yesterday. I had another episode of being confused at the gas station this morning Can this be a symptom of these meds and/or my anxiety and depression. I am only 44 years old and I have an 8 year daughter to take care of. Needless to say, I am so fearful that this something else.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wellbutrin and anxiety may cause confusion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Wellbutrin use, anxiety and depression, both may be linked to episodes of confusion.

However, if these episodes become more frequent, other conditions that may cause such issues should be considered and evaluated further.

At your age, mild cognitive impairment, Alzheimer's, are very unlikely to be the conditions responsible for these memory issues, in addition, there are no other symptoms to point towards these conditions, in such case conditions such thyroid gland dysfunction, low vitamin B12,
alcohol use, etc. should be considered and investigated further, if these episodes of confusion repeat.

It is my opinion that only two episodes of confusion are more likely to be related to drugs you use, or anxiety, or could be memory lapses that happen to all of us.

I suggest you to discuss with your primary care Doctor about conditions mentioned above, if these episodes of confusion repeat.

Hope I helped you.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical