What causes chronic fatigue?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi I am a very active mostly healthy person, who has problems with fatigue. My doctor has respond to my complaints about fatigue by giving me a blood test that shows all perfect. But I know something is not right. I often have trouble getting through work or sometimes driving is dangerous because of how tired I am. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Good day.

Noted your case history .
Chronic fatigue is due to various reasons. Have you lost any weight ? How is your apetite ? Any giddiness on stnding up ?
Any fever or night sweats ?
Do you feel lonely or depressed ?
I hope your doctor has done Thyroid blood tests as well.

I would like to consider few conditions.

1) Hypothyroidism
2) Anemia
3) Diabetes
4) Vitamin D deficincy
4) depression
5) Addison's disease
6) Other rare causes
7) Depression
8) CHRONIC FATUGUE SYNDROME.

These are few of the conditions which present with fatigue.

For diagnosis, we need to examine you and run some tests.
The tests i suggets are,
1) CBC,
2) Thyroid functions
3) ESR
4) Vitamin D,
5) Fasting blood sugar
6) Fasting calcium and albumin levels
7) Fasting ( 8 AM) cortisol level
8) Serum Electrolytes

Some of these tests would have been done by your doctor. Could you attach those reports?

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
No I have not lost weight in fact I put on weight … especially around my stomach, a layer of fat i have never had in my life.

Yes I have night sweats… have had hot flashes for years now.. no one seems to be able to do anything to help. Because I am not interested in taking drugs.

My doctor has not ordered any of the above tests, I think for one reason it is because I am so active. I run marathons, climb mountains am active a lot…. Big reason I can't figure out why I can't complete my work and why I almost fall asleep while driving a lot.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Good day.Sorry for the delay in reply.I was away in the country side.

I must say that, for a physically fatigued person, to be active enough to run marathons amd climb mountains is extremely difficult. In that comtext, we now need to analyse your symptoms further. HAve your activity levels limited by fatigue recently?

Do you think you are depressed for an reason? How is your sleep.

It may be worthwhile to do the above tests at your age.

Binu