What causes chest pain and tightness in chest?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 25 Apr 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am having a pain on the left side between my shoulder blades, also having a paint with some chest tightness when i take a deep breath. I have had a cough for most of the day. Any idea what I'm dealing with also today I had a situation where my tongue felt like it was swollen and sore. Very odd feeling. When I take a deep breath I can feel it through my left side all the way through to my back
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cause of tightness can be cardiac related. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your symptoms cause of tightness can be cardiac related. There is possibility of cardiac congestion. I would like to ask some more detail question about your symptoms. Was there sweating associated with it? Do you have history of hypertension? Another possibility due to compression of this nerve root there is pain in your rib and chest. . This can be related to smoking also. I will advise you to do MRI thoracic spine, and EMG- NCV [nerve conduction study] and 2D -ECHO chest. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.