What causes burning sensation in urinary tract when on thyroid medication?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my mother has consumed approx 20-25 pills of thyronorm 125mg in morning about 8.15 am yesterday she is 62, suffering from hypotherodism, hypertension, initial symptoms of alzheimer recently tsh level 17.00, to day she is feeling burning sensation in urinary track, i am monitoring her pulse rate and bp which comes out to be normal. presently she is taking prolomat am 50, vlzar, and ecosprin, and novastate for cholestrol. i tried on her one glass of watrer with 2 tea spoon salt so as to vomiting but could that was not so resultant.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
take her to ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
After going through the current and past history, my opinion is as follows:
1. She is prone to get arrhythmia, high blood pressure, coma, fever, agitations, anxiety, neurological problems etc.
2. If she has taken on an empty stomach, it will be severe.
3. She will require activated charcoal and beta blockers and extensive symptom control. Take her to hospital emergency immediately.

Any further queries, ready to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E