What causes burning sensation in the abdomen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

Last night I had a strange episode where I felt that there is some fluid in my stomach flowing upwards and I tried very hard to sleep thinking this could be a normal problem, but when I was about sleep I get the same strange feeling again and I have some unusual sensation near the stomach and chest, and I don't feel sleepy anymore and start to panic a lot. I feel hungry and I have mild burning sensation (the sensation we get when we eat a mint or a polo on an empty stomach). With a lot of struggle I was able go to sleep at 4 am in the morning and woke up at 6 as I need to go to office. I took Pan 40 in the morning before breakfast.

Though there were no symptoms in the morning, I feel the same mild burning sensation now. I don't feel panic now, but when this is happening at night I panic a lot and scared that there is something wrong with my system.

It is difficult for me to exactly explain my problem, but I hope I am understandable.

Can you please suggest any remedies for this and what exactly is this cause that is bothering me so much and not letting me sleep.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia with gastritis.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and welcome,

Most likely, based on your description, this is dyspepsia.Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.
If the problem is caused by previous irritation from acid reflux, I recommend the following:

1. Zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg twice a day. Zantac is an acid reducer that decreases acid production by 70%, allowing the tissues to heal. You may need to take this for a month or longer. I prefer Zantac to the proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec, etc) because it is safer and does not have the risk of discontinuation rebound hyperacidity when it is stopped.

2. Do not lie down for 2-3 hrs after eating.

3. Avoid acidic foods - citrus, tomatoes, juices

4. Decrease caffeine (colas, coffee) and sodas in general.

5. Decrease alcohol or completely stop it.

6. If you smoke cigarettes, now is the time to stop. They increase acid production and delay healing.

7. If you are overweight through the middle, that increases the risk of reflux. Try to decrease your weight (if overweight) slowly over time.

8. Eat smaller amounts at a time so there is less pressure in the stomach which can reflux acid into the stomach.

9. Avoid eating/drinking mint (it relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter which can allow more acid up).

If these changes don't help enough, it is time to see your doctor. Your dr. may want you to have an endoscopy (visualizes the esophagus, stomach, with a fiberoptic tube), or manometry (pressure testing of the esophagus).

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 hours later
Thank you so much doctor. I have few more questions:

Is feeling hungry at nights a symptom of Dyspepsia? I feel very hungry during the nights and then I feel some mildly inflammatory fluids flowing in the stomach and when I drink lots of water, I feel relaxed.

Is it safe to use fennel seeds and boil them in water and drink after waking up in the morning?

and is there any alternative to medicine? is there a possibility that it can be cured naturally?

Would eating lots of curd can solve this problem?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Your explaination is suggestive of duodenal ulcers.Most of the times primary tell tale sign of duodenal ulcer is that pain starts at night.
In gastroenterology various terms are inter related for e.g dyspepsia is not a disease rather its a collection of symptoms.
Yes fennel seeds are good for you a sort of ayurvedic remedy.
Before comming to remedy and alternative treatment i would like to make sure whether its duodenal ulcer or not.
By protocol endoscopy has to be done hoever easy and clinical way is that as soon as the pain starts next time take pantoprazole 40 mg tablet(you have it with you).If pain is relieved then it means that we are reaching correct diagnosis.

Eating lots of curd and yoghurt would be helpful.
Take cold milk one glass in morning and evening
Avoid citrus fruits
take banana and apple.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng