• question-icon

    What causes burning sensation during urination post unprotected sex?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hello Dr I am a male and it has it's been 3 weeks since I've had unprotected sex with a female I first started experiencing pain while urinating that lasted for 3 days then only stings a little now. I had slight diarrhea for a day and now I am constipated. I am now experiencing a white/ yellow discharge from my penis. I have looked these symptoms up and have come to the conclusion that I may have gonorrhea or chlamydia. but when I looked up the symptoms for HIV some were diarrhea and constipation. I have not had any fever like symptoms or rashes (apparent in hiv) but I'm worried cause according to the sources I've seen gonorrhea or chlamydia don't normally cause diarrhea or constipation. can you please reassure me that this doesn't sound like HIV I know that a person who has hiv doesn't always have the symtoms but can you please tell me if gonorrhea or chlamydia have symptoms that cause diarrhea or constipation thank you I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diarrhea and constipation are unlikely be due to STD/HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
At present slight burning sensation during urination and appearance of white discharge per urethra 3 weeks after unprotected sex might be more due to Chlamydia rather than Gonorrhea which can manifest within a week duration and more severe burning. Gonorrhea and Chlamydia do not manifest with diarrhea. Your diarrhea and constipation were not necessarily related to your sexual experience. It could be due to some other causes like your diet or gastro-intestinal tract infections. HIV also is unlikely, as early HIV manifestations can be fever, head ache, body pain (flu like) rather than diarrhea.
Consult your physician and get investigated for STDs/HIV to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment can be planned according to the outcome of investigations report.
Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Practicing since :1974

Answered : 2870 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Body pain

doctor1 MD

Sir, I am 35 years old male. I am a smoker (6-8 cigarettes /day) and I take alcohol twice or thrice every week. I am also taking Etricoxib 60mg...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I'm having headache, body pain especially in ankle, thigh. Also have mild throat pain. Please do help me to recover. Regards, xxxxxx

doctor1 MD

I am having FEVER , headache and running nose since 1 day. kindly help me.

doctor1 MD

Hello; I am a 25 year old male. I am living with the following symptoms and cannot get a diagnosis. These are my symptoms. Weakness in the arms and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

160 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. S. Murugan
  • Q - Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?

  • Q - Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...

  • Q - Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure

  • Q - Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...

  • Q - Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...

  • Q - Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis

  • Q - Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...

  • Q - Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...

  • Q - Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....

  • Q - How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...