What causes bump on scalp with migraine?

Question

I work and live on a horse farm, well we had a lot of things to do today, and on my way into the shower I was running my fingers through my hair, and I noticed a egg shaped bump right on the top middle of my scalp. It's very large and could almost fill the space of my palm, I get these every so often and usually they fall back to the norm within a few days, I also notice that when I get these bumps, I will have a migraine with it the next day. I didn't hit my head on anything recently. I did bust the back of my head open in September of 2012. I had gotten 4 staples with it. My memory and or balance have never returned to normal, any help is greatly appreciated.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis...

Detailed Answer:

From what you are describing, the egg shape bump you notice on the top middle of your scalp might be possible folliculitis (infection of hair follicles).

In your case, there are various factors causing it:
- you keep your hair tied
- work in the horse farm gets your hair in contact with pollution that make it easier for the hair follicle to get infected/inflamed.
- you have oily hair
- fleas or other horse parasites.

You get migraine when you feel the bump because the scalp is very sensitive. Even in case of small bumps, it will cause pain and sore similar to migraine.

I advise to:
- not to tie your hair especially after having a shower
- if the bump is big and you cannot medicate yourself, should get a healthcare provider to medicate it. You might need oral antibiotics too for which you should take a prescription from your doctor
- cut your hair short to make medication easier
- can use over the counter medicated products: iodine, oxygenated water, antibiotic ointment, medicated bandage

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana