What causes brown spotting after menopause?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am a 51 year old woman and was not getting my period for 2 years. Every since this morning I am seeing brown spots. I need to know what is happening?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult an OB - GYN, could be atrophic vaginitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Not having your period for 2 years makes you menopausal, and this is post menopausal spotting.
Yes this needs to be looked into, however you should relax.
The most common condition is atrophic vaginitis.
Due to menopausal lack of hormones, vaginal tissue becomes friable, delicate and prone to spotting / breakage.
This is diagnosed by internal exam by a gynecologist and treated with local estrogen creams.
Another possibility could be a cervical polyp, infection or cervical growth.
So basically you need to see an OB - GYN, have an internal evaluation, a Pap smear and a pelvic ultrasound scan.
That will clarify the diagnosis.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN