• question-icon

What causes brown blood vaginal discharge?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am 48 and my periods have been normal upto the 10th of XXXXXXX I had a normal period then it didn't seem to stop .everytime I wiped I had brown blood looking like string threads then I had 2 days of no bleeding at all and now ive been bleeding ever sinceall my smear tests have been normal,i went for my 3 yearly smear test yesday and nurse took the smear but sais it wouldn't come back as normal due to me bleeding.she also saw something like a lump and wasn't sure if it was a polyp,she got a doctor to look at me and she refered me to hospital in nxt 14 days.i am crying all time and scared.what can it be I need to have my mind at rest,one doctor last week said don't worry bout it as it wud be perimenapausal,but since my smear and a nurse seeing a lump I'm frightened I'm going to die
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
There are many cause for having such bleeding commonest being:-
-Female hormone imbalance,
-Uterine fibroids,
-Disorders of the uterine lining,
-Uterine,ovarian or cervical cancer,
-Hypothyroidism,
-Endometrial hyperplasia,
-Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, to name a few.
To rule out these you should go for blood profile, ultrasonography, thyroid profile, endometrial biopsy, hormonal profile or sometimes you required D&C.
The lump at the cervix can be a benign nabothian cyst and is not worrisome.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
why did my doctor look so concerned and rushed me to a hospital apptment within 14 days.i am having my bloods done on the 10th july .would that show up cancer?,could the light bleeding be perimenapausal and is it normal to bleed none stop for months on end,i don't have anything on my pad only when I wipe myself from going for a wee,my periods have all been normal and on time until now,and would my smear they attempted to do still show a good reading
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to hormonal disturbance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

A possibility of cancer needs to be ruled out after investigations.

However, please note that most of the time it is due to hormonal changes. The presence of blood on a smear interferes with the proper results. So it may need to be repeated.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN