• question-icon

What causes breathing difficulty and extreme fatigue when diagnosed with heart failure?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Wife Was Digonosed with heart failure 4 years ago she has two leeking valves a stent and pacemaker we were told she had two years to live but have supassed that her condition seems to have got worse over the last 6 months breathing and fatigue for the smallest of activity how long has she got would you say . Sugery is not an option and has been ruled out by her heart specalist Dr lim Q.E Hospital XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that we can not make predictions only based on her clinical situation.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with her doctor for a careful physical exam and some tests to evaluate her actual heart function:

- a chest X ray study
- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- NT-pro BNP levels for heart failure
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes.

You should discuss with her doctor on the possibility of optimizing her therapy in order to improve her situation.

The prognosis depends on many factors : patient compliance, other commorbidities, heart function and lab tests.

With an optimal therapy and with a close follow up by her doctor there is still hope.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist