• question-icon

What causes body aches, throat irritation and chills after unprotected oral sex?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello doctors! 2 months ago I had a potential encounter of HIV. Unprotected oral sex and docking (frottage). Now I am having muscle and joint aches, a scratchy throat with tremors and chills yet no fever. Would pins and needles be a symptom too? I've gotten checked at the ER and they did not recommend any blood tests as my vitals were fine. The symptoms did start to appear when I started to worry about them. Could this be anxiety? My appetite decreased a little, and a week before all this I had constipation.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get some blood tests done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. With your symptoms of scratchy throat, chills or muscle ache we cannot tell anything whether its a symptom of HIV. The only way to find out is to get blood test done. You need to get HIV Elisa test now, at 3 months after exposure and after 6 months. If all the tests are negative then we can tell conclusively that you do not have HIV infection. In addition to these tests you can also get P24 antigen assay test and PCR test which are bit costly but these tests will also tell you for sure whether you have HIV or not.

Your symptoms may be due to anxiety. But you need to get all these tests done. And also completely abstain from illicit sex. Get married or have a very faithful partner.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kini 13 minutes later
The chills disappeared after 2 days when my anxiety was gone. Another doctor said that my risk was too low to even worry about. Isn't 2 months a bit too long for ARS?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To clear all doubts you can get all the tests i mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Nothing is too long or short. Since you had an unprotected sex it ll definitely involve some risk unless you know the partner very well. If you need to find out conclusively you need to get blood test done. It will clear all doubts from your head. So that's a better option.

Dr Sanjay Kini
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kini 16 minutes later
But I'm quite hesitant to get checked, doc. Im an md nightmare. im underage, the stigma will be on me. i would have to clear up that i have only had one sexual partnee to date and that was just one encounter. No swollen lymph nodes, no headaches. Joints are not sensitive, doc, just due to fatigue. It seems rather convenient that the symptoms began when i started to worry about them doc.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take your time and decide

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I do understand your situation and the fact that you may be feeling hesitant as there is lot of stigma involved in it. If there is a possibility you can go to some lab bit far off from your place where people may not know you and get tested. Or you can also go to a govt hospital and get tested where your details will be kept confidential. If you want to remove all doubts from your head that's the only option. Symptoms like chills, fatigue can be due to anxiety or viral fever or any cause. Even absence of any symptoms at initial stages does not rule out completely the existence of disease. Take your time and decide.

With regards
Dr Sanjay Kini
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kini 22 minutes later
Thank you, doc. I would like to point out that the er has ruled out any infection bacterial or viral as I did not have a fever, the itchy throat is very mild that I sometimes it's psychological. No rash too, doc. The only symptoms left now, after the er visit which really calmed me down are just the tremors, joint pain, and itchy throat. The joint pains are fatigue-caused based on experience, doc.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can go by your ER 's words

Detailed Answer:
ok, if your ER doctor is confident that there is no infection either viral or bacterial then you can go by his/her words. Your symptoms might be due to anxiety. Just be careful henceforth.

with regards
Dr Sanjay Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sanjay Kini