What causes blood in urine?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just urinated and noticed some blood at the beginning of the stream. I saw something similar about 6 months ago but it only happened one time previous to today. I have no pain at all.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs to consult qualified Urologist.

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query based on the facts and your age blood at the beginning of urination is most likely to be due to Enlarged prostate which is common at this age.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Are you taking any drug like Aspirin ?
2) Do you have other urinary symptoms like Frequency for urination ,urgency,poor stream etc ?

The bleeding usually occurs due to rupture of superficial vein over the surface of the prostate which gets sealed off immediately .

You need to consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with specific mention of Post Void Residual (PVR)urine
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean while start taking antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin and Nitrofurantoin twice daily and Tomsulosin once daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Do not take aspirin or any other medication. I do notice poor stream.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to investigate .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
Bleeding is mostly due to enlarged prostate and needs to be investigated on the lines suggested in my reply earlier .

Urologist may do endoscopic examination of bladder and urethra (Cystoscopy)

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.