What causes blood in urine?

Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,i been at urgent care to do a urine test two times and they told me that they can see with microscop blood,i went to hospital and they did a blood test urine test and ct test and everything cames good,i am 25 years old its something to worry about it??some people they telling me that can be cancer???also i start drinking alot of water and i have to pee a lot,i also mastrubate agressive sometimes two times a day i dont know what cast the blood on my urine
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
At your age it is unlikely to find anything serious.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXX
Thank you for contacting Healthcaremagic.

I understand your concern.

There are multiple causes of the presence of blood in urine on microscopy- the common causes are urinary tract infection, stones in the kidney or bladder and very rarely patients will have some growth in the urinary tract. In most patients we do not find a cause.

Now if the CT scan, urine test and blood tests are normal, then you can put your mind to rest that there is nothing major going on. However your urologist might decide to do a test called cystoscopy to make sure there is nothing sinister in the lining of bladder which is not visible on CT scan. Hence the reason for referral to the Urologist.

In the UK, cystoscopy is done routinely for patients with microscopic bllod(hematuria) but practice in US may vary and some urologist do not do it if there are no risk factors in your age like smoking or family history.

Hope that answers your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng