What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My stool occult Bld filnal Antigen result
Detected so what is mean by this when i see from the dictioner the word detected tranlsts that it is cancer.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be suggestive of cancer but usually is not a primary sign of cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

I've gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

There are a few things to consider when a person says he has occult blood test positive.

Generally, blood coming from higher levels (stomach and small bowel) converts into a dark coal black colour due to the changes the blood has in the bowel. It is the bleeding from lower parts (colon) that will show as bright red blood.
Have you ever had a colonoscopy done? After the age of 40, it is recommended that all people should have a colonoscopy every 5-10 years. Even if you have had this test in the last 5 years it might be recommended to repeat it as you are having this bleeding.
If you can't go for colonoscopy then proctoscopic examination of rectal canal should be done to look for hemorrhoid or anal tear.
A CBC could be a good test to be done if there is bleeding to see if you are developing anemia as a complication of bleeding and need treatment for it or not.
So to conclude:

1-As it is confirmed that you are bleeding then you will need a colonoscopy to find the cause of it.

2- if you have bright red blood while defecating (passing stools) this might also be due to hemorrhoids which are mostly due to constipation so in meantime please make sure you take extra fibre with diet and drink plenty of water.

3. Cancer typically does not have acute onset so initially more common things should be ruled out.
I hope this is helpful and answers your questions but please feel free to reply in case any more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj