What causes blood in rectal discharge?

Question
I have just farted a small amount of mucus with pinkish blood. I do have diverticulitis, are the two issues linked?
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Two issues possibly lined

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The two could be related. Please confirm if you have constipation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes blood in rectal discharge? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response. In the 12 hours before the incident I passed stools three times; there was never a sign of blood. I have recently dieted and lost 2-3 Kilos of weight. Prior to that my stools were often very loose. However since the fat free diet my stools have become solid, and are sometimes difficult to pass. I think that I need to raise my water intake, often I have only 4-5 cups of coffee a days and not much other liquid. I do not feel ill, I am fit and otherwise healthy. Unless you thing the passing of blood requires urgent action, I am happy to monitor the situation it the hope that it is not a sign of something more serious. I look forward to your response and thank you for your advise.

Barclay Millar

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Water and fiber intake needs to be increased

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Irrespective of whether you have constipation, you need to ensuring a fibre rich diet to ease the situation. Green leafy vegetables and other sources of dietary fibres contribute roughage which for the bulk of stool. Unless fiber intake is adequate, the gastrointestinal movement will be hampered and such a problem may result. Please note that you need soluble fibres. You get this type of fibre from wheat XXXXXXX whole grains, and some vegetables. Soluble fibre helps lower blood cholesterol levels and control blood sugar levels. You get this type of fibre from oats, barley, psyllium, oranges, dried beans and lentils. A high fibre diet may also help prevent colon cancer.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Avoid red meat.
* Increase water intake.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fibre supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.