What causes shortness of breath along with acid reflux?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: due to hyper acidity i am facing
short breathing and suffocation
heart palpitation
allopathy dr gave me deriphril m to cure acidity but after that created abo e
i am having bp, kidney stone, cyst in kidney
what s best aurvedic medicine
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification and plenty of fibre intake is essential

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. It is more of a lifestyle disease and therefore lifestyle modification is needed. I would not insist you to go for ayurvedic treatment. Rather try to understand the underlying stuff and manage it accordingly.

Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Omez (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibres. Take fibre supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fibre intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Please elaborate about the other ailments and I would try to guide you further.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.