Suggest treatment for blood in stool

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Blood in stool...bleeding for 5 days.what may be the causes
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please mention the consistency of stool

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two broad factors to consider in case of blood with stool and that involves the consistency of stool. Bleeding could be associated with constipation or could be associated with loose stools. Please elaborate on your condition and mention about the consistency of your stool. If there is constipation you would need to take plenty of fibers. In case of dysentery or bloody stool, treatment with antibiotics is likely to be needed. I would await your response. Based on that I would guide you further.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 10 hours later
Sir at that time while i was passing stool after that fresh blood drops comes out..blood was coming like water is falling...and around 15-20 drops after stool...sometime mixed with stool..i have consulted with doctor...he examined and told that some cutting is there..that may be the cause..and he gave me calcium dobesilate monohydrate tablet..after taking it for 4 days bleeding stopped..so what may be the cause.And there is no pain while passing stool..stool is also normal..not so hard...painless bleeding..bleeding start after when stool comes out and sometimes it was coming with the stool...
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Piles or hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the clarification. The presentation is typical of that of Piles or hemorrhoids. The perianal veins dilate and rupture causing the bleeding. It can be painless. Irrespective of whether you have constipation, you need to ensuring a fibre rich diet to ease the situation. Green leafy vegetables and other sources of dietary fibres contribute roughage which for the bulk of stool. Unless fiber intake is adequate, the gastrointestinal movement will be hampered and such a problem may result. Please note that you need soluble fibres. You get this type of fibre from wheat XXXXXXX whole grains, and some vegetables. Soluble fibre helps lower blood cholesterol levels and control blood sugar levels. You get this type of fibre from oats, barley, psyllium, oranges, dried beans and lentils. A high fibre diet may also help prevent colon cancer.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Avoid red meat.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fibre supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* In case of subsequent episodes, take Sitz bath. In a big tumbler take water as hot as your skin can take. Sit on it with your anal opening dipped. Do this if you have the discomfort.
* If the problem intensifies, taking Daflon tablet 500mg every 4 hours for 3 days followed by once every 8 hours for next 4 days should help in resolution of the problem.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thank you sir...but i am concerned about the amount of blood...around 1 spoon...in piles that amount of blood is bleeded???actually i am worried about other deadly disease ....like colon cancer or something else which is more dangerous...sir how can i sure that it is due to piles..is there any test....actually doctor examined and if that is due to piles he can tell me surely that it is due to piles but he told me there is something cutting in that place...may be due to that...sir my question is how can i confirm it is due to piles...not for other cause....and sir in the age of 23 piles is possible?? Generally it happens to the older person ..
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Make sure to take fiber rich diet and keep yourself properly hydrated.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, in piles this amount of blood is shed.. and may be more. Such a blood loss, if continued, can land the body in crisis. Colon cancer is not the first thing that needs to be brought in consideration. In any case, the treatment of both would be the same and that is to ensure plenty of fiber intake. You also need to drink lots of water.

Piles is possible even in case of a child. So, definitely at the age of 23 years it is possible.

Make sure to take fiber rich diet and keep yourself properly hydrated. I do not suppose you would need to worry. If the problem extends further, follow the advice given during my second interaction.