Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes bleeding at catheter tip ?

Question
I have to catherization on a fairly frequent basis...about once every three days...Tonight, I catherized as usual but was surprised that no urine came out..(but I had just peed)...however, when I removed the catherer...blood came out...
What does this mean and what should I do?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urethral injury needs to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

If at all minimal urine came out, you can assume that catheter tip did reached your urinary bladder.But catheter tip might have injured urethral mucosa on its way up.

If not even drops of urine came out , maybe catheter coiled up in urethra, with bleed indicating possible urethral injury.

I would suggest you to bring this to notice of your doctor asap.

Doctor will keep you catheterised for few days , giving urethra chance of healing without stricture formation. A injured urethra, if not catheterised, may heal with stricture.

So I would suggest a continuous catheterisation for few days.

Hope this helps.Regards.