What causes black spots on upper shoulder?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 13 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: What can cause upper shoulder black spots
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

There are some possible causes for black spots on shoulders such as:
-Hyperpigmentation of skin due to sun exposure.This are spots that develop gradually in some years. When your skin is exposed to the sun, the melanocytes cell production increases resulting in skin darkening. The color of spots may vary from light brown to red or slightly blackish in color
-Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation ,that occurs after inflammatory skin conditions (if you have had acne in your shoulders)

-Skin conditions like fungal infection (Tinea Versicolor) might be the cause.

Usually they are not of concern and not caused by a serious medical condition.

It is difficult to say for sure what is the cause without examination and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
It is important to know if these spots have appeared lately or have been there for years?
-Have you ever had acne on shoulders?
-These spots cause any kind of discomfort or no?

It would be really helpful if you could send me a picture to give you a better judgement otherwise you can consult your doctor for physical examination.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you need further help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati