• question-icon

What causes an egg sized soft lump in the groin area?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: I have a goos egg size soft lump on the left side of my groine that seems to give me constapation.Could this be a obstcution.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
If this is palpable and located in groin then this is not likely to cause obstruction or constipation since this is away from rectum. This is more likely to be lipoma or swollen lymph node and if there is pain and redness then this is possible abscess. I suggest to do ultrasound of this lump and needle biopsy. It should show us what type of lesion it is and then it can be surgically removed if necessary. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 25 hours later
The pump is soft and at time it is smaller. the more gassy and constipated I get the bigger and harder it get.It will legal at times like your tummy will.when I bare down it will flood with liquid and I can push that back up into my gut.To get a bowel movement it helps to push gently downward on my belly and rite side.It all ties in with the lump.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible perineal hernia or rectal prolaps

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
If this is located closer to anus and can be pushed into gut then this is more likely to be rectal prolaps or hemorrhoids and in this case it could cause constipation. If this is under the perineal skin then this is likely to be perineal or inguinal hernia which is also possible to have effect on bowel movements. in every case, surgical consultation is required since these are best treated with surgical repair.

Also, additionally, you should increase fiber intake. Good fiber sources include XXXXXXX and other whole grains found in cereals, breads, and brown rice, vegetables such as brussels sprouts, carrots, and asparagus, Fresh fruits, or dried fruits such as raisins, apricots, and prunes Beans. Also, you should exercise regularly. Moving your body will keep your bowels moving, too. Second, you may at times need to try a laxative such as Fleet Phospho-Soda, Milk of Magnesia, or glycerin suppositories

Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Exercise is out of the question at this time. I have C O P D and a very bad lung infection at this time and can't go any farther than my hose.I ate Malt-O Meal hot cereal at noon and it bolted me and got bad cramping.I'm afraid to eat anything.Before the cereal I haven't eaten for three days.If I would eat all the fiber you say I should then what will happen?I am scared and at whits end.
Brief Answer:
follow-up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Well, if this is a hernia then no diet can help. the only way to treat this is by surgery.

Dietary changes and laxatives may help with constipation but it will not affect this lump or hernia. So it would be good to get an ultrasound scan done and visit proctologist so that right diagnosis can be established.

You can also upload the reports here for my review.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon