What causes acid reflux post normal upper endoscopy?
Follow up endoscopy after 1 year
Since since you had a normal upper endoscopy last year you do not need to worry about formation of Barrett's esophagus at this stage.
Barrett's esophagus is a chronic condition and it takes generally 3 to 5 years for people having a long-term gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) which is a chronic regurgitation of acid from the stomach into the lower esophagus for its formation.
Only a small percentage of people with GERD will develop Barrett's esophagus.
However, some people diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus have never experienced heartburn or acid reflux. It's not clear what causes Barrett's esophagus in these people.
I would recommend periodic endoscopy to monitor the cells in your esophagus in your case.
If your last endoscopic biopsy showed no dysplasia, you will need a a follow-up endoscopy in one year and then every three years if no changes occur. If low-grade dysplasia is found you need to do another endoscopy in six months or a year.
You can also prevent acid reflux symptoms by maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding tight fitting clothes, stopping smoking, avoiding stooping or bending especially soon after eating and by avoiding lying down after eating. Wait at least three hours after eating to lie down or go to bed.
Hope I have answered your query.
I have never been diagnosed with BE.
So you saying I should not worry about something really bad forming since last year?
I also had a abdominal and pelvic CT scan with contrast in January of this year that was normal too.
3 yearly upper GI endoscopy
If your upper GI endoscopy was normal the year before and last year then you will need to do another upper GI endoscopy exactly after 3 years.
Since your abdominal and pelvic CT is also normal you do not need to worry at this moment.
You can just practice the preventive measures for acid reflux and you will be absolutely fine.
If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mentos causing acid reflux
- What is upper endoscopy procedure
- What causes acid reflux disease
- What is the cause and treatment for acid reflux
- What causes acid reflux after gallbladder removal
- What causes acid reflux all day long
- What causes stoomach bloatinggas and acid reflux
- What can cause acid reflux
- What causes acid reflux after a hysterectomy operation
- What causes pounding in heart with acid reflux
- What causes acid reflux post normal upper endoscopy?
- Suggest treatment for stage 3 non small cell lung cancer
- Suggest treatment for ovarian cancer
- What causes chronic abdominal pain, nausea and fatigue?
- What causes swelling in armpit,collar bone ,face and hair loss?
- Suggest alternatives to chemotherapy for gall bladder cancer?
- Is esophogeal cancer a slow growing cancer?
- Suggest treatment plan when suffering with breast cancer
- Suggest treatment for melanoma
- What are symptoms of leukemia and lyphoma?