What causes a yellow coating on the tongue?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a yellow coating on my tongue, what caused this
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Welcome to health care magic!

I am Dr. Saddiq Ul Abidin. I have read your problem in detail and will try to help you in best way possible.

Yellow tongue can be caused by a variety of diseases and can be symptoms referring to other diseases. It would have been more appreciable if you had shared details of any associated symptoms like yellowishness else where in the body, fever, bad taste, or joint pains etc. If there are none among these, then it can be due to some benign causes like accumulation of bacterial or yeast products over the tongue or simply due to acid reflux.

Based on your old history, as you have significant history of having stomach problems like gastritis and other issues, so it is possible to be responsible in your case.

You can have yourself examined in detail by an oral surgeon or gastroentrologist.

Meanwhile scrapping your tongue with soft brush or using peroxide solution 1 part in 6 parts of water is also been found to be helpful but make sure to dilute it before applying as it can be corrosive.

Using high fibre diet, supplements of iron and vitamin C and B complex may help.

If using any antibiotic or any other long term medications get them reviewed by your GP.

Using antacids like lansoprazole or omeperazole may also help with gastric associations leading yellowishness.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. kindly rate me generously before closing, and leave your feedback if possible.

Dr. Saddiq Ul abidin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad