Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes a throbbing periodic pain and a very hard bump on the left vaginal wall area?

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar


Practicing since :1992

Answered : 2159 Questions

Posted on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I woke this morning with a throbbing periodic pain, almost like a cramp on my left vaginal wall area. It comes and goes. While I showered, I thought if I massaged the wall, it might go away, but intstead, I found a bb sized very hard bump just under the skin surface.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Some more information. Don't handle or squeeze it.

Detailed Answer:


I have understood your concern and I will suggest you the best possible treatment options.

First of all do not panic.

I would like to know about few things from your side:

1. Are you getting regular menstrual periods?
2. And are you sexually active?
3. And have recently done any blood tests like hemogram, Urine examination and sugar levels?
4. Also, the swelling that you have noticed, is it painful and is it located on the left side near the vaginal opening?
5. Are you getting any fever or any other symptoms?
6. Have you ever experienced such symptoms before?

Please let me know about it to help you out in a better way.

At present I will suggest you not to handle the swelling, and do not try to squeeze it or prick it.

Use of Lactic acid containing vaginal wash during bath time is advisable.

If pain is not bearable, please seek prescription support from your treating doctor for analgesic like Paracetamol as needed.

I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to communicate with me again.


Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 34 minutes later
I am still sexually active although have not had sex in over a week due to my husband's health. It is on the left side around 1-2 inches above the opening. I have no fever. I may have experienced the symptoms before but this is the most prolonged pain. I drank red wine over the weekend, which I avoid usually as it can cause inflamation of my arthritic finger, could it be something is inflamed?

I had my regular physical and mamomgram and pap test in August and all was normal. As part of that I had my sugar, liver blood test etc. tested and all was good. I had slightly elevated liver for fat. My cholesteral was good. Should I go see my doctor to get it checked?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Abscess or lymph nodes. Broad spectrum antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:


I have gone through your reply. Thanks for your feedback.

From your description it looks like either a kind of follicular abscess or Bartholin abscess or some inflamed Lymph node.

Please seek consultation from your treating Gynecologist and get the pathology confirmed.

Usually, a week long course of a broad spectrum antibiotic containing Amoxicillin and Clavulinic acid two times a day will be of help. Of course take prescription support from your treating doctor.

Please maintain personal hygiene. Keep private parts clean and dry. Opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen.

Things will be fine in the due course of time.

Hope I have answered your question.


Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on