What causes a lump on the tonsil?

Excellent

Question
I have a small lump on my tonsil. It's pink, round and smooth. About the size of a pen tip. I believe it noticed it a few months ago but only recently got concerned now that it seems I can "feel" it. If I poke at it with a tooth pick, I can wiggle it around a bit. No pain. Do this appear to be anything serious? I have an ENT appointment coming up but I am concerned it could be cancerous. What do you think? Here are pictures https://ibb.co/keXeC6 https://ibb.co/eQims6b
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some details to guide you in a better way

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HealthcareMagic. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and the image attached & would try to help you in the best possible way. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. I would be in a better position to guide you anything if you answer following questions please:
1. is there any history of fever, sore throat or difficulty in swallowing?
2. any history of pain while eating?
3. what is your age?
4. are you on any medication?
5. any other symptom that you would like to share?

I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You

Follow-up: What causes a lump on the tonsil? 3 hours later
No pain, no fever, no difficulty swallowing.
33 year old male. No medication.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably a mucosal cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for getting back with the answers. I have gone through them. As there is no other positive finding so the lump is most probably a mucosal cyst. Until or unless it interferes with your normal daily routine, i would suggest you to ignore it and continue with your normal daily routine. Take a cup of warm water and add 1 TSF salt, perform gargles (mouth wash) with it for 1-2 days.

> If you observe:
increase in size
pain while eating or
fever & swelling in throat region.

Then you need to visit hospital and get an appointment for a consultant ENT Specialist for direct examination and further workup.

Hope i have answered your query. If you have any follow-up query then feel free to ask.
Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: What causes a lump on the tonsil? 11 minutes later
Do you have any concerns it could be a malignancy?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be malignacy

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for the followup query. Its highly unlikely to be malignant. There are no associated symptoms that would indicate it to be malignant.

Thank you