What causes a cold sore on a child's body after sharing an object?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I awoke this morning with the start of a cold sore. I have had them before. My concern is not for me. My son got a harmonica yesterday for his birthday. I played it for a short time and he played after me. I had no symptoms yesterday. I am fearful I gave him HSV
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contagious with onset of symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at HealthcareMagic

Cold sores are contagious from the onset of symptoms like tingling,burning,redness etc to the time they heal completely . They are highly contagious once you develop blisters.
Since you shared the harmonica yesterday there is a possibility that your son might have been infected.

Hope I answered your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 29 minutes later
There were no symptoms yesterday at all
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Asymptomatic shedding of virus poses very little risk of transmission

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query

I understand your concern. But even though you were aymptomatic there is still a very little risk of spreading the infection especially since you were so close to developing symptoms.
Transferring the infection without symptoms is called asymptomatic shedding. But the risk is very little and the possibility of your son developing the symptoms are very slim.

Hope I was able to help you
Please address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi