What causes cold sores when diagnosed with HSV-1?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I talked to you before about my medical problem.
My blood work showed HSV type 1 negative HSV type 2 positive, I don't have blisters at genital area, but within past 3days around my mouth slightly redness and itching, no pain , no blisters yet, now I am starting worried about is is cold sore. Even though HSV type 1 positive, do I still have chance to get cold sore?

Even though HSV 1 negative do I still have chance to get cold sore
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doesn't seem like cold sore

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

HSV type 1 usually causes cold sores whereas type 2 commonly causes genital sores. Cold sores present as burning or a tingling feeling followed by an eruption of fluid filled vesicles usually in a cluster. Prima facie you don't seem to have cold sores. You seem to have a dry patch or a dermatitis - I suggest you to apply a topical OTC steroid cream e.g cortisone cream, twice daily.

Follow-up: What causes cold sores when diagnosed with HSV-1? 21 hours later
Thanks i used clobetasol today . Now looks better.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to me.