Is an itchy red bump on the lip indicative of cold sores?

Dermatologist
Question
Hello, I have had to cold sores in the past on my lower right lip. They where very small and after about a 7-10 day they where gone( I only had 2 in my life). Its been more than 5 years and I have a small red bump above my lip (not on the line) and it began with a little itching.( my skin get dry) when I notice the bump I put lysine cream on it and took a lysine pill. the next day it was still red, no pus or anything. I took a couple of Lysine pills and now I am on day 14, is gone but it is a a dark spot there it never got fluid fill or burst open, it was just there. Could this have been a cold sore or just a pimple? How likely am I to develop recurrent cold sores?
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a pimple

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic,

I have gone through your concerns and reviewed the attached photograph.

It is not looking like herpes infection.
It seems to be a pimple.

I would recommend you to apply a topical antibiotic like Clindamycin 1 percent gel or Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel in this area twice daily for few days.

This should resolve it.

The chances of developing cold sores are not much since you haven’t had an episode in more than 5 years.

Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: Is an itchy red bump on the lip indicative of cold sores? 44 minutes later
Thank you so much. I have been so worried that the colds sore had returned in a new spot, I know recurring colds sores can happen I just don't know much about them and if I should be concerned about it

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You don’t have to worry much about cold sores.
They do recur but their chances of recurrence varies from person to person.
Also they usually never cause a serious problem and disappear on their own in 5-7 days.

Follow-up: Is an itchy red bump on the lip indicative of cold sores? 13 hours later
Thank you so very much.so it's possible to never get another cold sore but I should not worry about recurrent colds sores I only had 2 in my life and it's been 5 years? I just want to know what to expect

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome dear,

Although there is no permanent cure for cold sores since you have just got 2 episodes and that too 5 years ago there is very less chance of recurrence in your case.

Even if it recurs it shouldn't be a severe episode.