Is an itchy red bump on the lip indicative of cold sores?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I have had to cold sores in the past on my lower right lip. They where very small and after about a 7-10 day they where gone( I only had 2 in my life). Its been more than 5 years and I have a small red bump above my lip (not on the line) and it began with a little itching.( my skin get dry) when I notice the bump I put lysine cream on it and took a lysine pill. the next day it was still red, no pus or anything. I took a couple of Lysine pills and now I am on day 14, is gone but it is a a dark spot there it never got fluid fill or burst open, it was just there. Could this have been a cold sore or just a pimple? How likely am I to develop recurrent cold sores?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a pimple

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic,

I have gone through your concerns and reviewed the attached photograph.

It is not looking like herpes infection.
It seems to be a pimple.

I would recommend you to apply a topical antibiotic like Clindamycin 1 percent gel or Benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel in this area twice daily for few days.

This should resolve it.

The chances of developing cold sores are not much since you haven’t had an episode in more than 5 years.

Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 44 minutes later
Thank you so much. I have been so worried that the colds sore had returned in a new spot, I know recurring colds sores can happen I just don't know much about them and if I should be concerned about it
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You don’t have to worry much about cold sores.
They do recur but their chances of recurrence varies from person to person.
Also they usually never cause a serious problem and disappear on their own in 5-7 days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 13 hours later
Thank you so very much.so it's possible to never get another cold sore but I should not worry about recurrent colds sores I only had 2 in my life and it's been 5 years? I just want to know what to expect
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You're Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome dear,

Although there is no permanent cure for cold sores since you have just got 2 episodes and that too 5 years ago there is very less chance of recurrence in your case.

Even if it recurs it shouldn't be a severe episode.