• question-icon

Can viral herpes be contracted through cold sores?

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Infections
Question: My cold sore started Dec. 11th and I still have it today. I try to be careful. But I forgot, and I kissed the forehead of my newborn granddaughter (she's 3 weeks old). Please tell me if there is a chance or not of her contracted the cold sore. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have given through your question and I understand your concerns but viral herpes cannot be transmitted through your cold sore through the baby's intact skin.. it needs a skin crack or to come in contact with her mucus membranes to be transmitted to her.. However, for the peace of mind of your daughter , disinfect her forehead with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol then apply an antiviral cream as acyclovir.. I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman