Owl Image

What casues back pain and breathing difficulty after a C-section delivery?

Owl Image
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Question
Hello Doctor,
My Wife delivered a baby under c section and its been 4 months now. She has severe back pain now and feeling breathless. She took dolo however pain is getting sustain only when She take tablet. I am not sure wherher she can take dolo since she is feeding. Please advise
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DOLO CAN BE TAKEN.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Back pain is quite common after C section.
Spinal anesthesia might disturb the nerves in the area, leading to pain.
Again, posture becomes a problem after C section, aggravating the pain.
Many women are deficient in calcium and vitamin D after childbirth.
Please ask your wife to take calcium and Vitamin D supplements if she is breastfeeding.
Ask her to avoid lifting heavy weights, bending or unaccustomed exercise.
SHe can take occasional painkillers ( Dolo etc ) while breastfeeding.
She can take a hot water bottle and lie down with it beneath the back.
A gentle massage also will help.
Regarding breathlessness, it could be due to fatigue, lack of sleep, stress etc.
Has she ever experienced breathlessness in the past ?
take care, looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: What casues back pain and breathing difficulty after a C-section delivery? 45 minutes later
Thank you for the response.
She felt breethless when she delivered baby and this is second time.

She has another problem now. She used toilet at shopping mall on last sunday. She finds blood in her urine today. Is that just infection or something related to the earlier mentioned issue? Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
REQUEST A FEW DETAILS.

Detailed Answer:
What is her latest hemoglobin ?
What is her height and weight?
Is she having burning during urination or pain in the lower abdomen ?
Please let me know .

Follow-up: What casues back pain and breathing difficulty after a C-section delivery? 19 minutes later
Hemoglobin : 12
Height : 156 cm
Weight : 50

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
URINE TESTING WILL CONFIRM

Detailed Answer:
If she is having burning and pain during urination, it could be a urinary tract infection.
THen a urine testing - routine microscopy with culture is recommended to confirm this.
Ask her to take lots of fluids, at least 4 - 5 litres per day.