What are the symptoms of cold sore?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: what to do for first sign of a cold sore
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral acyclovir, Topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing to us on HCM.
Herpes Labialis or commonly known as Cold sore is a viral infection caused by Herpes simplex virus.
The treatment is pretty easy and straightforward.
I usually prescribe oral acyclovir 200mg five times a day for 5-7 days.
Apply acyclovir cream and antibiotic cream like mupirocin thrice a day.
Take antipyretic like paracetamol if associated fever is present.
Avoid close physical contact with your partner and other members of family for few days as its contagious.
I m sure you will be fine soon.
Thank you
Dr Hardik pitroda
M.D Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 3 hours later
do I need a doctors prescription for this
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
---

Detailed Answer:
Yes i dont think oral acyclovir is available without prescription.
Kindly visit your gp or dermatologist at earliest to get the required prescription.
Let me know if you require anymore assitance from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj