What are the symptoms of carcinoid tumors?

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I need some answers to questions regarding carcinoid tumors. First of all, questions about symptoms.
Facial flushing - does it occur all the time? Does it occur at the same time with diarrhea, wheezing, and increased heartrate? Is the flushing usually a deep red in color? Does the redness come on gradually and then get darker in color?
Diarrhea - Is the diarrhea associated with carcinoid tumors watery or slightly loose? Can the bowel movements be normal for 1 or 2 days and then loose again? Is the stool normal color? Will the stool look red, black or tarry? How many diarrhea stools per day? Just one or several? Is a noisy, rumbling gut characteristic of carcinoid tumors?
My symptoms are: loose stools, usually just once a day off and on for the last 4 weeks; mild abdominal discomfort both sides; noisy, rumbling gut off an on, with gas also. Stool consistency is loose and mushy, but sometimes it starts out solid and is mushy at the end. Stool color is dark brown to light brown to yellow, but sometimes if there is solid pieces, it will be a combination of all 3 colors. Also, sometimes my bowel movements will contain a lot of undigested food in it. Is there a possibility that these symptoms could be because of a carcinoid tumor? Any information will be greatly appreciated!

I have had a colonoscopy in March 2015. The report showed hemorrhoids, a suction polyp and multi goal erosion between the ascending and transverse colon. No polyps were found.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
symptom are vague, can not be diagnosed based on the symptom

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing here.

I have gone through your query.

Symptom of carcinoid tumor is vague and varies from individual to individual. So it is difficult to confirm the diagnosis with only symptom.

As your stool examination and colonoscopy was fine, I would suggest you not to worry, you are not likely to have carcinoid tumor.

As you appear to be anxious, to clear your doubt I would have suggested for endoscopy.

To address your present symptom, I would have suggested you to have food rich in fibres and avoid spicy foods and take capsule omez 20 mg once daily before breakfast for a week. You are fine, relax.

I'll be glad to address your future queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later
If it probably isn't carcinoid tumor, then what would be the other possible causes?

It seems like a lot of my symptoms are similar to carcinoid tumor; such as mild intermittent abdominal pain in many different areas, increased gas, borborygmi (especially after eating, or when waking up in the morning), loose stools once daily for 4 weeks. I know that my colonoscopy was ok, but the fact that these symptoms have occurred daily for a month is very upsetting. I have read online how carcinoid tumors can mimic IBS. My doctor has told me for a long time that I probably have IBS, but he has never tested me for it or ruled out any other conditions.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS is diagnosis fine after ruling out other condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good to hear from you.

IBS there are usually no physical signs to definitively diagnose IBS, diagnosis is often a process of ruling out other conditions.

As you are anxious, you can consider endoscopy and CT to rule out carcinoid. I would suggest you avoid spicy food, smoking and alcohol for few days and observe for any chance. Take the drug as suggested earlier.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D